I have not heard a single woman talk about how much they really loved the first trimester.
It’s actually quite the opposite! Some are very fortunate and get away with only feeling slight exhaustion, but most of us are hit with all-day-queasiness (who gave it the name morning sickness anyway?!), and full-on exhaustion. I read that 7/10 women experience the discomfort of nausea in their first trimester, and I was definitely one of them with both of my pregnancies. The first trimester for me feels FOREVER long, from first the long wait for my very first appointment after taking those positive home pregnancy tests, and then those 5+ weeks of feeling totally crummy. I’ll never forget that at the end of my first trimester the first time around, my husband declared, “Hey! I really like you again!” because I was simply not fun to be around for many weeks, with all the time I spent on the couch or in bed!
I put together my top tips for surviving the first trimester!
- Gratitude. It can be so easy to feel discouraged and hopeless, as the days seem to drag by without feeling even a hint more energy or less nauseous. Take time to pray over that beautiful life forming in your womb, and turn those awful feelings into gratitude that something miraculous and remarkable is taking place in your body!
- Rest as much as you can. This was something I had the freedom to do during my first (twin) pregnancy, but this second time around, rest felt nearly impossible with 2.5 year old twins running around, constantly needing me! I gave myself grace and admit that I sometimes turned on a cartoon at 9am or 3pm, only to nap on the floor because I felt like I couldn’t go on. This is OK. The exhaustion WILL subside!!
- Choose to eat as healthfully as possible. Now, I know this is a VERY hard one to do. Most – if not all – women I’ve talked to seem to only be able to tolerate carbs and some fruit in the first trimester. When I was feeling nauseous, I needed to eat. Eating was the only thing that calmed that awful feeling…and carbs were the only food that did the trick. So, I always had cheerios on had. I decided that with a very small ingredient list, they were the “best” option that gave me some relief.
- Drink up! For me, I was really repulsed by water, and the only way I could get it down was with lemon or lime in it! The first trimester often comes with the dreaded constipation, which makes drinking water SO much more important!
- Seabands! I found these to be helpful in easing my nausea! I wore it nearly 24/7 for about 5 weeks, and really did feel like it helped. Even if it was in my head…well…it was helpful
- Tummy Drops. I discovered these at Whole Foods, and I really loved the mint ones. I carried them with me wherever I went, and sucked on one when I started feeling really sick. I highly recommend them!
- Fresh flowers. Yes, flowers go a long way in cheering you up when you feel crummy…pregnant or not!
- Ask for help. If you have other children to care for, never hesitate to ask for help when you need it. It may feel hard to do, but I can assure you that good friends WANT opportunities to help you out!
- Exercise when possible. It’s probably the LAST thing on your mind, but even just taking a 10 min walk will be so helpful!
What was most helpful for you in the first trimester?