One of the hardest things about pursuing health & fitness goals, weight loss goals, or simply nutritional goals is … drumroll … SOCIALIZING!
Can I get an AMEN?!
I LOVE spending time with friends and family, and that often means food. Not just food…but unhealthy food. Delicious junk food that is oh so tempting but leaves me feeling not so awesome. I am sometimes left frustrated by the fact that most social gatherings revolve around food when it doesn’t seem necessary, and it’s hard to be the “weird” or “health nut” who turns down food.
Anyone with me?! Surely I’m not alone in this!
I want to share with you my thoughts and best tips for how to keep your nutrition in check while still enjoying social activities!
FIRST, above all, I believe relationships are far, FAR more important than our own health & fitness goals. Of course, if you have a food allergy or intolerance, that’s a whole different topic altogether. But if we are just speaking of sticking to our own personal goals of being fit or losing weight, I believe investing in relationships ought to ALWAYS take precedence. I also believe there is a way to do this while not completely getting off track with our goals.
So let’s get to it!
- Going out to eat? Look at the menu online and decide in advance what you will be ordering! Look for grilled meat rather than fried, look for dishes that won’t be smothered in sauce or filled with starchy foods, as those are often foods that leave us feeling yucky afterward. Go for a plate that’s loaded with veggies! Ask your friend or spouse to split an entree with you, as the serving sizes are often outrageous! If you decide on a salad, ask for your dressing on the side and only use the amount you would at home. Lastly, Skip dessert! Opt to make some healthy dessert at home instead, and invite your friends over to enjoy it with you!
- Decide in advance what you will indulge in and what you won’t indulge in. Making a mental plan is CRUCIAL to making choices you feel good about. It’s empowering to decide in advance and then stick to it.
- Did someone bring you some really yummy unhealthy treat? Or are you at a friend’s house and a dessert plate was served to you? Say “thank you” and enjoy some with them. Don’t let your goals keep you from being gracious and enjoying mouth-watering food! And then, give yourself grace and remind yourself that the conversation you had over that food was FAR more important than the food itself
- Heading to a BBQ or an event where you are bringing food to contribute? Choose to bring something deliciously healthy! This is a win for everyone involved!
- Eat slowly. Be fully present in socializing, which will likely keep you from eating quickly and mindlessly serving yourself a second portion.
- Stop eating before you feel really full!
- When the opportunity arises, share with passion about how changing your lifestyle to eat whole, healthy foods has impacted your life!! Share your experience from your heart in such a way that others feel excited to celebrate in the changes with you, rather than feel belittled if they are choosing to eat unhealthy foods. Also, by sharing your goals with them, you’ll hopefully be surrounded by supportive people who will cheer you on to reach them!
- Don’t skip meals before going out to eat, in effort to “save up” calories or something. This will only lead to overeating! Eat as you would throughout your day so that you don’t enter into a social situation with a roaring belly!
- Fill up on WATER! Sip frequently throughout the meal. You’ll be way less likely to overeat when you’re drinking plenty of water.
- ENJOY yourself! Splurge a little, and give yourself grace! Occasionally eating opposite of your goals won’t ruin you or cause you to immediately gain weight!Any helpful tips YOU would add?! Comment below!